The 2010 UNC-Chapel Hill Relay For Life is approaching. The event, which is organized annually by the American Cancer Society, is set to start April 16 at Fetzer Field and Belk Track.

The American Cancer Society Relay For Life gives everyone a chance to celebrate the lives of people who have fought against cancer, remember those who lost their lives and fight back against the disease.

At the relay, teams camp out on campus and walk or run around the track. Each team is asked to have a representative on the track at all times during the event. The money donated will be given to the efforts to fight cancer.

Our team, which comprises graduate students in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication, is among the top teams with its $4,136 in donations, which ranked it second on the list.

We believe fighting cancer is a team effort. The benefit we can make together is greater than what any of us can do alone. That is why we students, faculty and friends of the UNC School of Journalism and Mass Communication graduate program have come together as one team to fight against cancer.

At Relay For Life this April, we will camp out overnight and take turns walking around the track to raise money and awareness to help save lives from cancer. If you join or donate to our team, you will be part of the effort that saves lives of many who suffer from cancer.

Please visit the Web page of the event at Relayforlife.org and be part of a life-changing event.

Behzod Mamadiev
Graduate Student
Journalism & Mass Communication