Chick-fil-a 'consumption race' deemed a success

Participants in the Chick-fil-A Challenge attempt to finish eating twelve chicken nuggets. DTH/ Zact Gutterman

With an empty stomach and a Cookie Monster mask, Trip Poole was poised at the starting line Saturday on Franklin Street.

Poole, an N.C. State graduate student, had two goals — winning the Chick-fil-A Challenge and putting his school’s stamp on UNC’s version of the Krispy Kreme Challenge.

He was one of more than 100 racers who gathered for the Interfraternity Council’s first Chick-fil-A Challenge, during which participants ran two miles to University Mall, ate a 12-pack of chicken nuggets and made the return journey up a grueling hill all for the sake of the N.C. Children’s Hospital.

Wes Saunders, an organizer of the event, said he hopes to donate more than $1,000 to the hospital, but would not be certain of the exact total raised for another week.

Jim Clabuesch, 45, who finished in well under 25 minutes, said this is the fifth “consumption race” in which he has competed, including the Krispy Kreme Challenge.

He said his best event is the six-pack mile, in which competitors down a six-pack of beer and run a mile, which he completed in 6:37, including drinking.

Clabuesch, an employee in the microbiology lab at UNC Hospitals, said he didn’t practice or prepare for the race, attributing his success to his natural talents.

“I’ve got an iron stomach, and I can run pretty fast,” he said.

Senior Leslie Bridger, the winner of the women’s race, was the polar opposite of the experienced Clabuesch.

“This is my first one where you eat food in the middle,” the rookie said.

Bridger, for whom the race was the first back from a knee injury, said she signed up at the encouragement of Saunders, who works as a waiter at her sorority.

“I think he thought I was kidding,” she said.

Bridger added that she was unsure of her future on the consumption race circuit.

“Maybe I’ll try the Krispy Kreme one, but I’m not sure,” she said. “That was a lot of food.”

Even though each champion received a year’s supply of Chick-fil-A, all that they had in common was a mutual passion for running and an ironic lack of fondness for Chick-fil-A.

“I don’t know the last time I went to one,” Clabuesch said. “I guess I’ll have to start going.”

“I’m excited for Chick-fil-A, although I don’t think I’ve gone in a year or two,” said Bridger.

Saunders estimated 200 people signed up, but only 118 attended the race.

But Saunders said he was pleased with the results, saying the turnout was better than expected, partially due to Greek participation.

“Almost every fraternity had 10 people sign up, whether they showed up or not,” he said. “So we got the money, which is the biggest thing.”

Geoff Smith, a recent N.C. State graduate who donned an Elmo T-shirt during the race, said he had run in the Krispy Kreme Challenge five or six times and wanted to check out its newest rival.

“We kind of thought this was a cheap knock-off,” he said. “We wanted to make sure it had an N.C. State stamp — not of approval.”

Poole engaged in similar trash talk, saying even his mom could complete the race with ease and that his everyday life prepared him to compete.

“I run about five miles a day and generally eat an unhealthy diet,” he said.