Chick-fil-A, IFC team up for race

Correction (April 6 12:20 a.m.): Due to an editing error, an earlier version of this story incorrectly stated the location of the Chick-fil-A Challenge. The race will begin at 8 a.m. at 313 E. Franklin St. The story has been changed to reflect the correction. The Daily Tar Heel apologizes for the error.

Since 2004, runners have stuffed their faces with glazed donuts and run four miles to raise money as part of N.C. State University’s Krispy Kreme Challenge.

Now, competitive runners and eaters will trade the sweet for the savory with a new challenge.

UNC’s Interfraternity Council will introduce the Chick-fil-A Challenge on April 24, during which participants will run two miles, eat a dozen chicken nuggets and run back to the starting line.

ATTEND THE RACE

Time: 8 a.m., April 24
Location: begins at 313 E. Franklin St.
Info: chickfilachallenge.com

The event, like the Krispy Kreme Challenge, will raise money for the N.C. Children’s Hospital and provide a serious physical challenge for participants.

Organizers said it will provide fraternities the opportunity to focus on one major philanthropy event, although they hope non-Greek students will participate as well.

“We’re trying to raise money for a great charity, N.C. Children’s Hospital, and I think that’s reason enough to sign up,” said Wes Saunders, an IFC vice president.

Members of the IFC have reached out to numerous Carrboro and Chapel Hill running groups and will be in the Pit beginning this week to drum up support for the race.

“I hope that we have participation from the entire campus and Chapel Hill community, not just from the Greek system,” Saunders said.

“I don’t want the fact that the IFC is organizing the race to deter anybody from registering, thinking that we’re catering to the Greek community.”

Of the race’s $15 registration fee, approximately $8 to $10 will go to the hospital, with the rest paying for an event T-shirt and the nuggets, which Chick-fil-A is offering at-cost for the race.

Saunders said Corbett Shoppe, the manager of Chick-fil-A at University Mall, approached him earlier this semester about teaming up with campus Greek organizations for charity, and suggested a race similar to the Krispy Kreme Challenge.

“We hope that it becomes a staple event for the UNC community,” Saunders said. “Personally, although I’ve never participated in it, I’ve always been envious of the success of the Krispy Kreme Challenge at N.C. State and have felt that UNC has all the means to create a similar event that can be just as successful.”

Whereas the Krispy Kreme Challenge aimed for a Guinness World Record in February with more than 6,000 participants, Chick-fil-A Challenge organizers are preparing for about 300.

One person who has competed is UNC freshman Reese Wells, who won the Krispy Kreme Challenge in February by almost two minutes and who Saunders said is the favorite to win UNC’s race.

Wells, a member of the club cross country team and a competitive runner in high school, said he hasn’t been running much recently. But that still might not hurt his chances.

“I think the most important part is the eating,” he said. “Anybody can run 5:30 pace for a few miles, but being able to stuff your face as fast as possible is where the race is won or lost.”