This week is Earth Week, and there are an array of activities available to students encouraging a commitment to the environment and sustainable life practices.

FLO Food is a campus group dedicated to the accessibility, education and promotion of fair, local and organic food here on the UNC campus.

In light of recent developments regarding the University and its various dining options, it is clear that while student support of better food choices has been heard, there is room for more widespread support.

This week, students have the opportunity to support local, sustainable food right here on their campus and learn about the real food movement.

On Tuesday, FLO will be bring local farmers to campus to give students a chance to purchase fresh vegetables, fruits, meat and baked goods. Confirmed vendors include Yugala, Sari-Sari Sweets, ECO and Cane Creek Farms.

The event will take place in Polk Place between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. Students can even use their OneCards when supporting our community’s hardworking farmers.

FLO Food will also be screening the documentary “Food Fight” at 6 p.m. Thursday in Murphy 116. The screening will be followed by a panel discussion, including the documentary’s director, Chris Taylor.

This event will be an excellent resource to those interested in strengthening our University’s efforts toward a more sustainable, natural food system.

Brendan O’Boyle
Freshman
International Studies, Political Science