I take exception to a number of points in Zack Tyman’s column “Cuba is evolving with new generation,” (April 8), primarily his assertion that the Cuban revolution will “possibly die” with the Castro brothers.

Tyman makes a false assumption that many before him (myself included) have made: Fidel Castro and the Cuban revolution appeared out of nowhere, and when Fidel dies, the revolution will exit stage right.

Mr. Tyman ignores crucial history: Before Fidel, generations of Cubans had fought for centuries, in three wars of independence, for la patria, for Cuba libre — a Cuba that could determine its own destiny, free of the imperialistic designs of Spain and the United States. Before Castro, each attempt failed to deliver the promise of Cuba libre.

He underestimates the impact of Cuban history on the “new generation” when he claims: “Gone are the days of national unity.” I studied abroad in Havana in the spring of 2008 and encountered, on the contrary, a great deal of national unity.

The Cuban students I met had a variety of opinions about the nature of the Cuban government and the Cuban revolution; some opinions were positive, others were damning.

But a fierce pride in their country and belief in patria and Cuba libre derived from Cuban history united them all. Cuba libre, the driving force of the Cuban revolution, lives in the inherited memory of the “new generation.” The cry ¡Viva Cuba libre! survived and transcended the trade embargo, diplomatic isolation and ten U.S. presidents. It will not die with the Castro brothers.

Alex Merritt
Senior
English, Spanish