Thank you for your excellent article about UNC-system President Erskine Bowles (“Crisis manager,” April 13). I have been one of his devoted admirers for years.

I care so deeply about the University of North Carolina, and his leadership has been a totally uplifting experience.

He is helpful in maintaining traditions while opening fresh viewpoints and new ways of accomplishing goals. He listens. Erskine has the remarkable talent for looking at one single person, even in a crowd, as if there were no one else in the room.

While he was reluctant to impose them, Erskine’s handling of the necessary budget cuts was exemplary. He has treated the smaller schools with the same attention as the larger ones. One feels that he cares about each campus.

President Bowles cares about each chancellor also, and has taken time to listen to each one.

He has a special sense about the importance of each member of the Board of Governors and the individual legislators. One feels his matchless responsiveness.

Former UNC-system President Bill Friday had his wish come true when he asked Erskine five years ago if he was ready to take on this totally consuming commitment that the presidency requires.

He not only agreed to do it, but he followed though with zest, thoughtfulness and deep caring.

He is an inspiration!

Mary Semans

Trustee Emerita

UNC School of the Arts