I second the editorial about giving Greeks more responsibility in governing our actions (“Give Greeks responsibility,” April 12). The entire article explained the situation adequately and summarized exactly what must be done.

If each Greek house was required to have its own internal judicial system, on top of the Greek Judicial Board, many problems would disappear. Some fraternities on campus already have internal judicial boards — as required by their general fraternities — that work perfectly in solving many problems before they get out of hand.

These boards assist in stopping many problems when they are only potential problems and help the organization manage risk effectively.

On top of this idea comes the concept of self-governance, something that has always been part of this University.

The Greek system is no different. Since the days these “secret” organizations went public and became accepted by this University, the Greek system has governed itself. Now is not the time to change this.

Instead, we only need to make stricter rules on governing ourselves. These recommendations do this and will encourage the 54 great organizations on campus to take pride in governing themselves with higher standards. This will allow the Greek system to continue to make a lasting impact on this great University.

Robert Fleming
Sophomore
Economics