How about focusing on our winning teams?

The Daily Tar Heel should pay more respect to the many quality sports teams UNC has in addition to men’s basketball.

However, I noticed that “SportsMonday” featured three articles with four color photos on one page for our men’s basketball team, which lost this weekend in the NIT finals.

While it’s fine to give end-of-season information for what is considered our premiere sport, it is not right to leave our other (winning) teams out to dry.

To start off the season, our men’s lacrosse team is 10-0, a feat that has not occurred in almost 20 years. Space allotted to them was tucked away in “Sports Briefs” — less than 150 words.

In addition, our baseball team (20-10) recorded their first ACC series win against Maryland.

While the first game was a loss, more could have been said of our two wins. Where was the mention of the three home runs scored by Jesse Wierzbicki, Seth Baldwin and Brian Goodwin? What about Michael Morin’s three shutout innings of relief on Saturday?

Instead of saying that we “strung together a series of hits” on Sunday, actual statistics could have been given.

Also, our softball team is 27-13, led by Spaulding, who has a record five no hitters this season. However, they’re relegated to the blurb section with the other winning teams.

To conclude: unless one of our non-basketball teams beats Duke, wins a national championship or loses, the DTH does not seem to care. This needs to change.

Erin Miller
Junior
Religious Studies