A seasonal reminder to all Tar Heels frantically finishing those term papers and semester projects, cramming for upcoming finals and otherwise too distracted to notice:

The “Wolfpack Garden” at the Old Well is beginning its annual red and white azalea display. While possibly reminding us that the agricultural roots of N.C. State extend to UNC, this garish show of a non-Tar Heel color at the heart of the UNC landscape is the best kept inside joke among Wolfpackers.

Do drop by the Old Well and see for yourself. Red and white replacements, planted last year, fill the bare spots for a full lush effect. A special thanks to the grounds personnel for unwittingly perpetuating this amazing stunt and providing the N.C. State faithful the last laugh of the year.

If you would like to see some blue and white color walk over to Coker Arboretum and check out the mass plantings of bluebells and plumbago and other blue-toned flowers.

Since the original Di (blue) & Phi (white) societies marked off the campus (and state) from the Old Well, surely our talented landscape designers could transform the Old Well garden to a blue and white scheme to reflect this history at the heart of UNC.

F. Marion Redd
UNC ’67