I am a sophomore at Duke University and a member of Duke College Republicans. I take issue with allegations made in your article, “Leader of Duke CRs forced out,” (April 19), namely Cliff Satell’s statement that the board only took action to impeach Robinette when they learned of Robinette’s sexuality.

As a member of this board who voted to impeach Robinette (the vote was unanimous), I will say with complete honesty that I was not aware that Robinette was gay when I expressed desire to impeach him; my reasons had everything to do with his unacceptable conduct as a leader of our club.

Satell’s argument rests upon the presumption that the College Republicans executive board colluded to impeach Robinette based solely on disapproval of his homosexuality. I am only one member of the executive board, but the fact that I supported the impeachment of Robinette before I was even aware of his homosexuality puts Satell’s argument in question. I will happily provide a list of Robinette’s actions as head of Duke College Republicans which led me, among others, to support impeachment.

It was for these reasons, and no others, that Robinette was impeached. Any contrary arguments are composed upon baseless and inflammatory allegations which unfairly tarnish not only Duke College Republicans, but each of its individual members, and I am extremely disappointed that The Daily Tar Heel would choose to report upon this issue without strenuously investigating the facts of this situation.

Charlie Sullivan
Sophomore
History, French