Tar Heels end ACC play despite a strong ?nish

Look to NCAA baseball tournament

With a 10-2 win against No. 12 Virginia Tech on Saturday, North Carolina closed its regular season with a three-game sweep of the Hokies in Boshamer Stadium.

But for the Tar Heels, who finished 36-20 (14-16 in the ACC), it was too little, too late.

Boston College’s win Saturday against Georgia Tech kept UNC out of the ACC Tournament. This is the first year the Tar Heels will not be playing in the conference tournament.

The Tar Heels, who came into the Virginia Tech series 1-11 against Coastal Division opponents, can only hope their improved play during the past month will be enough to secure their postseason ticket when the NCAA playoff games are chosen Monday.

“It’s a new territory for all of us,” coach Mike Fox said. “We’ll have to deal with it as best we can. We made that bed, and we’re responsible for where we are.”

Fox remained positive about his team’s improved last-minute effort.

“We did what we had to do just to give ourselves a chance,” he said. “It’s easier said than done. I’m certainly proud of the way we finished the season.”

Third baseman Levi Michael, who led the Tar Heels on Saturday with three RBI on two hits, was grateful for the near-spotless pitching during the weekend.

“It takes a lot of pressure off of us hitters,” Michael said. “We’re more relaxed at the plate; we’re not under as much pressure to make something out of nothing, and we just sit back and let the game come to us a little more.”

Unless UNC receives an NCAA bid, the series was the ending to the college careers of seniors Mike Cavasinni and Ryan Graepel, who had two hits apiece in their final game at Boshamer Stadium.

But freshman Brian Goodwin proved that there is a promising future for the young North Carolina squad.

The 6-foot-1 right fielder contributed two hits in each of the three games, notching a total of seven RBI. In the fourth inning of Thursday night’s opener, he drove in three Tar Heels with a home run.

For senior Cavasinni, having the freshman slugger there to take his place in the outfield is more than reassuring.

“He’s going to be an unbelievable center fielder and an unbelievable hitter,” Cavasinni said.

“Knowing that I had the opportunity to play next to him and hopefully teach him a couple things, it’s a great feeling.”

Contact the Sports editor at sports@unc.edu.