Ten local residents graduated from a program Tuesday that taught skills and expertise ranging from firearms to gangs — and now, the police department asks them to be ambassadors to the community.

The Chapel Hill Police Department graduated its first Citizens Police Academy class, a program designed to build a closer relationship between the police and those it aims to protect.

“We are interested in showing folks in our community how we do our jobs,” assistant police Chief Chris Blue said.

“This was a chance for people to become better acquainted with our jobs, the quality of our officers and the variety of law enforcement programs we have here. We really believe in relationships here.”

Students said they were successful in this goal.

“I was impressed with how personable they are and how passionate they are about serving the community,” graduate Yvonne Lucero said. “I’m really impressed with how they do their jobs.”

During the 10 weeks of the academy, participants not only met important officers, such as police Chief Brian Curran, but also received valuable insight into various departments of the local police branch.

“The lessons were very interactive, not just sitting in a class,” Lucero said. “We did a drill with the Special Emergency Response Team where we got rescued, we got to learn how to do fingerprints, and we were civilians in a mock drug bust with the K-9 unit.”

Other lessons included presentations by the investigations, crisis, narcotics, gangs and patrol units, as well as a behind-the-scenes tour of police headquarters and a number of hands-on activities.

The Citizens Police Academy is a part of wider efforts to refocus the police department on the Chapel Hill community. Lt. Troy Smith headed its creation, borrowing ideas from a similar program run by the Cary Police Department.

“A lot of other agencies have been doing this for decades,” Smith said. “We just needed to get the ball rolling. The hardest part was just finding a time that worked for everyone, since we were asking officers to prepare lessons on top of full-time jobs.”

Most of the participants cited multiple reasons for joining.

“I wanted to learn more about the police,” graduate Jon DeHart said. “It’s a good opportunity to meet new people and develop relationships,”

Although the department plans to continue the academy, exact dates have not been decided yet.

“What’s next? Well, we don’t know,” Blue said during the graduation ceremony. “But we’re looking ahead and discussing things.”

Applicants to the Citizens Police Academy must be 18 years or older, free of misdemeanor charges in the past year and of any felony charges.