Here at UNC we are lucky to go to one of the best universities in the nation, but a current budget proposal being debated in the General Assembly threatens the quality of this institution and its 16 peers in the UNC system.

Tough times are nothing new to us at UNC — we are a hearty bunch that knows how to tighten our belts when needed. But the more than $180 million cut being considered by the N.C. House could set us back nearly a decade.

Up until this point, cuts have had a minimal impact on the University’s core academic mission, thanks to dedicated administrators

But the current House proposals would dig deep, eliminating numerous courses, class sections and even faculty positions.

This means bigger classes, reduced services and a much harder time finding that one course you need to graduate.

President Bowles has called the proposal “draconian” and “unacceptable,” and we owe it to ourselves to support him in the defense of our quality education. Chancellor Thorp, Provost Carney and President Bowles are doing their best, but we can do more!

Now is the time for students to take a personal stake in their education by fighting for its preservation.

Call your legislator, write a letter or go to Raleigh and make it known that you care! This is our education at risk and it is time that we take the lead in its defense. Hark the Sound!

Ian W. Lee

Student Body Secretary

Class of 2012

Business Administration, Political Science