Journalism students at UNC are leading a nationwide Carnegie-Knight initiative. A team of 12 students with different expertise is developing Powering a Nation (www.poweringanation.org).

This multimedia, investigative endeavor focuses the political, economic and scientific tensions behind U.S. energy use to engage citizens and inspire informed decision making.

Powering a Nation is part of News21, a national 10-week summer initiative sponsored by the Carnegie Corporation (of New York) and Knight Foundation to innovate the news business. Launched in summer 2009, the site gathered widespread recognition, including a “Best Use of the Web” award by the National Press Photographers Association and a Webby Award nomination.

The students are working on several story packages that will launch later on this summer.

For example, one targets at-risk populations that are affected by shifts in energy costs and infrastructures.

Our reporters are working in close contact with Gulf communities affected by the oil spill, and were able to obtain exclusive access to BP’s contract forbidding its workers to talk with the media.

Luca Semprini
M.A. in journalism
Class of 2010
Summer 2010 News21 Fellow