ASG president branches out

bhulla profle
Appalachian State University graduate student Atul Bhula is the new president of the UNC Association of Student Governments. He plans to crisscross the state most weekends to be a champion of student issues.

The new president of the UNC Association of Student Governments will be putting a lot of miles on his car this year.

A graduate student at Appalachian State University, Atul Bhula said he will be driving across the state most weekends to make sure the voices of students are heard.

Bhula said his biggest priority this year is lobbying state legislators to keep tuition and cuts as low as possible at universities.
ASG consists of representatives who meet monthly at one of the UNC-system schools to discuss matters affecting their schools. It is funded by a $1 fee students pay.

Bhula said ASG can help guide representatives in determining which potential cuts would have the least impact on students.
He said he hopes his seat on the Board of Governors’ budget and finance committee will improve student involvement in the decision-making process, especially with budget cuts and tuition increases expected to continue this year.

Phillip Dixon, member of the budget and finance committee, said it’s important to have student input on the committee.
“I think they’re going to turn to him and ask for his advisory and he’s going to provide it,” Dixon said.

This is the third year a student has served on the budget and finance committee. Former ASG President Greg Doucette said he is happy that Bhula has followed in his footsteps in bringing a student voice to the committee.

“There needs to be a big focus on making sure there is a good policy set in place for tuition and fees,” Doucette said.
“Anything you can do to build relationships among the board members is a positive sign.”

Bill Daughtridge Jr., vice-chairman of the board’s budget and finance committee, said Bhula’s place on the committee is crucial for rallying students and explaining to the legislature the impact of budget cuts on the student body.

But Bhula’s priorities might be overshadowed by criticism from some students who think the organization has been ineffective.
“I think it has great potential,” said Rick Ingram, an ASG delegate from UNC. “Hopefully, Atul can expand ASG’s reach to each of the campuses and make it more useful as an entity.”

Bhula said he hopes to address some of this criticism by cutting costs and reaching out to the student body.
He said he will plan ASG outings on different campuses where more students can connect with the association, which would help its image and allow for better communication between the student body and the organization.

“Criticism allows you to know where to improve and to know what’s wrong with the organization,” Bhula said. “It facilitates those open communications.”

It’s a new year with a new president, which gives no reason for criticism, Dixon said.
“A new broom sweeps clean, as they say,” he said.

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.