Field hockey reloading after championship year

Team searching for new scorers

Kelsey Kolojejchick, who is the leading returning goal and point scorer, looks to help her team win its third national championship in four years.

Despite the problems a team faces when it loses its two leading scorers, North Carolina field hockey coach Karen Shelton knows the Tar Heels have what it takes to repeat as national champions.

“We will be one of the teams vying for the championship,” Shelton said. “I feel good about our attitude right now.”

North Carolina was chosen by league coaches as the ACC preseason favorite. The Tar Heels topped last year’s conference champion and national runner-up, Maryland, by receiving four first-place votes.

The graduation of Danielle Forword and Melanie Brill, the Tar Heels’ top point scorers last season, leaves sophomore Kelsey Kolojejchick and senior Katelyn Falgowski as UNC’s top returning point scorers.

While Shelton acknowledged that it’s hard to replace players of Forword and Brill’s caliber, she said that their absence will give other players a chance to step up.

“Dani was a rare and special talent,” Shelton said, adding that she anticipates both Falgowski and Kolejejchick being more active this season.

In 2009 Falgowski led the team with 26 assists, while Kolojejchick finished just behind Brill and Forward in goals, points, shots and shots on goal.

“Our biggest challenge this season will be goal scoring as we look to replace Dani Forward and Mel Brill,” Kolojejchick said. “Our team may not rely on only one person, but rather multiple scorers this season.”

In addition to being tabbed as the ACC’s top team, the Tar Heels boast three preseason All-ACC selections — the most of any school in the conference.

Falgowski and Kolojejchick joined senior goalkeeper Jackie Kintzer on the 11-member honorary team. All three players were first-team All-Americans and earned All-ACC honors last season.

These selections reflect the Tar Heels’ recipe for success last season — scoring at a high rate while limiting opponents’ scoring chances.

Kolojejchick said it was key to have UNC’s defense “remain one of the strongest defenses in the country.”

North Carolina scored 88 goals while allowing only 15 in 2009.Behind that defensive brilliance was the 79.5 save percentage and 12 shutouts tallied by Tar Heel goaltenders, both top numbers in the ACC.

“We have undoubtedly the best goalkeeper in the country,” Shelton said, “and I think Jackie Kintzer will anchor a very good defense this year.”

North Carolina has stiff competition in the ACC, as the conference looks to continue its streak of eight straight national championships.

Five of the conference’s six teams earned bids to the NCAA Tournament last year, including national semifinalists Maryland and Virginia.

“We have a strong chance of repeating as national champs because our team has a good combination of experience and new talent that will make us hard to beat,” Kolojejchick said.

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.