New ASG leader plans first meet-up

Bhula prepares for the new year

As one new president prepares to lead the UNC system, another president is making plans to foster a friendship between himself and students.

Atul Bhula, in his first year as president of the UNC-system Association of Student Governments, said he wants to discuss plans to better communicate with Thomas Ross, the system’s president-elect, at the organization’s meeting this weekend at UNC-Wilmingon.

UNC-CH Student Body President Hogan Medlin said it’s important for student leaders to make connections with Ross early.

“He’s sort of like a sponge right now, soaking everything up before he takes office,” Medlin said.

“If we work as a team, we can make sure ASG is represented in his plans for serving, and we can strengthen the organization.”

ASG is made up of student representatives from the UNC system who come together once a month to discuss matters affecting their schools. It’s funded by a $1 fee from each student system-wide.

Bhula said another item on the agenda is discussing the distribution of nonrecurring funds that have rolled over from last year’s budget.

“The highlight would be the campus innovation grants,” Bhula said.

Last year the association put about $10,000 of its funding toward grants that universities could apply for in order to fund campus projects. Bhula said they plan to do the same this year.

Applications for the campus innovation grants will be due by next month’s meeting. Last year UNC-CH received $1,000 to implement the NextBus system for the P2P.

Dakota Williams, the senior vice president of ASG, said about $43,000 rolled over from last year’s budget.

Both Williams and Bhula have prepared a bill to present to the association on where the money should go.

Williams said they also will be passing an achievement plan. This plan is a rough draft of goals the association hopes to accomplish throughout the year.

“This is a good place to see a summary of the bare skeleton of what we’re looking to do this year,” Williams said.

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.