Student groups gear up for national elections

UNC engages in democratic process

A modest card table and banner graced the Pit on Saturday, providing a glimpse into the political activity on UNC’s campus for the midterm elections.

The table was set up for a Rock the Vote initiative to register student voters and was staffed with volunteers from the Young Democrats and the College Republicans.

In addition to their nonpartisan Rock the Vote participation, volunteers from the two campus political groups are bringing their collegiate energy to campaigns for the mid-term elections.

The College Republicans, led by Chairman Anthony Dent, are putting their weight behind candidates such as Sen. Richard Burr, R-N.C., and Cathy Wright, who’s campaigning for a seat in the N.C. House of Representatives.

The groups plan to actively recruit voters and to gather support for their respective political causes.

Storrow, whose group aims to register 5,000 people, said a goal of his campaign will be to promote not only Democratic candidates but the progressive agenda as well.

Dent said he hopes to play a part in a “banner year for Republicans.” He added that the group’s efforts might even produce a “glimmer of hope” in Democratic-leaning Orange County.

They will both be performing regular campaign duties, including making phone calls and registering voters, but they will also be adding a bit of college flair to their activities.

Community partnership

The Young Democrats partnered with the Orange County Democratic Party to give internship-hungry students a chance to work with them. The College Republicans will be hosting tailgating events in support of its candidates.

Officials from the campaigns said they are thankful for the dedication and energy brought forth by the student volunteers.

Sam Swartz, a spokesman for the Marshall campaign, considers the Young Democrats’ support crucial.

“They have a lot of energy, and we couldn’t do it without them,” he said.

Wright said she sees a political awareness in her College Republican supporters that she did not have as a student.

“They are very thoughtful individuals,” she said.

Drawing in students

Dent said he sees too much political apathy in his peers.

“College students keep up with politics, but it isn’t important,” he said.

At the table Saturday, sophomore Swati Rayasam was soliciting students to register with the ultimate aim of increasing student participation in elections.

Dent and Storrow both find themselves drawn to political volunteering by the same thing: a sense of duty to the democratic process.

“As an individual, we have the ability to create change,” Dent said. “We have to be engaged. Protecting democracy takes work.”