Board of Aldermen disagree on new green affordable housing in Carrboro

Carrboro’s Board of Aldermen were split on a proposed development Tuesday as they debated housing affordability.

The Veridia Community housing project on Old Fayetteville Road presented an affordable housing proposal in December 2008 with a projected cost of $289,000 per home.

The development will feature 39 single-family homes that are all Green Building Initiative and Energy Star certified.

But at the meeting, Veridia partners George “Trip” Overholt and Dave Bell said the updated projected cost of each housing unit is upward of $300,000.

Overholt said the increase is due to added standard features like solar hot water systems, car ports and sprinkler systems.

“We aren’t making any additional money on the difference,” he said. “Those costs are embedded in the features.”

An original supporter of the project, Alderman Jacquie Gist said she changed her mind.

“Three hundred thousand and up is not affordable housing,” Gist said.

Alderman Lydia Lavelle echoed Gist’s sentiment.

“To upgrade it or to cross that threshold of $300,000 takes it out of it for me,” she said.

Though Lavelle and Gist considered the project too expensive, Overholt said the project supports sustainable living at a modest price.

“You have an opportunity to approve the greenest model of development that’s ever been approved in this state,” Overholt said.

Alderman Dan Coleman applauded Overholt and Bell on their efforts.

“This is a unique case of a developer who’s wanting to do something exceptional on a reasonable price,” Coleman said.

Overholt said Veridia wants to start construction on the homes next summer and finish by the end of 2012.

For now, construction will have to wait until the board revisits the subject at a later meeting.

Sidewalks

Before the housing debate began, George Seiz, public works director, gave an update on the town’s ongoing sidewalk expansion.

Seiz said the town has completed 19 projects totaling roughly four miles of sidewalk and more than $2 million worth of construction, but five projects still remain.

Mayor Mark Chilton said he is proud of the project’s progress and stressed the importance of remaining a pedestrian-friendly community.

“I think that’s what our town is all about,” Chilton said.

Coleman said according to a preliminary transit survey, Carrboro has nearly twice the number of one or fewer car households as Chapel Hill.

Coleman said this survey shows that sidewalk construction is an essential part of the town’s responsibility to its citizens.

Contact the City Editor at citydesk@unc.edu