I agree with whatever actions the University is going to take against the athletes in question regarding academic fraud. The University provides the means for these players to have an education and showcase their talents, so the university is rightfully in control of their future. That said, the fury from students against the football program is overkill.

Anyone who believes a school is perpetually able to sit in an ivory tower above NCAA violations is more naïve than someone who believes OJ was innocent.

Look, people are going to make mistakes, especially under the pressure to bring wins and athletic prestige to a university. I’m not saying sweep things under the rug, but be empathetic and get some perspective. No player assaulted another on the field or robbed an unsuspecting pedestrian. This isn’t the 1980s Miami Hurricanes (with due respect to Coach Davis’ former position.)

Try to remember that scholarship basketball and football players that play for premier teams are under more stress than the average student, and are more susceptible to the temptations of quicker and less virtuous roads.

That doesn’t justify academic misconduct, but nobody should be surprised if it happens. So please, spare me the diatribe about how students feel “wronged” as if they’re losing sleep over this.

Those who have done wrong will be punished as seen fit by the powers that be. What is not needed is students blowing horns of righteous indignation. Save the contrived outrage for basketball ticket distribution and lack of narwhal tanks.

Andrew Elliot
Class of ’10