Edison McIntyre is a little confused (“Vote Democrat and keep the country on right track,” Sept. 21). In his letter, he implores voters to supply Barack Obama with a Democratic Congress so that the “progressive programs” of the president can be passed.

Of course, there is a strong Democrat majority in both houses of Congress. Besides, the programs that McIntyre lists (health care reform and stimulus) have already been passed (and are disastrous). As far as cleaning up the nation’s budget mess, the Democrats and Obama have put the national debt on a path to exceed GDP!

That’s about the worst governing since the Bush administration. If McIntyre is right about one thing, it’s that Bush, Cheney, and the GOP were a disaster, and were rightfully disapproved of, particularly on college campuses. But according to the DTH article “Democratic party loses college student followers,” the Democrats aren’t faring much better.

I’m not saying each of you has to vote libertarian (though you should), but at least look into it. Obama talks about handing the keys back to those who crashed the car — harsh words for a man whose party had a majority in the 110th Congress. Democrats and Republicans drove us into this ditch in tandem.

If you want a principled commitment to economic and social freedom, vote libertarian. At least give it some thought if you think it may be worth looking beyond the Demublicans.

David Deerson
Outreach Coordinator
UNC College Libertarians