Anson Dorrance wins 700th game

Anson Dorrance began the UNC women’s soccer program in 1979 and has since won 20 NCAA titles, more than any coach in the nation.

With North Carolina’s 7-2 trampling of Tennessee on Saturday, UNC women’s soccer coach Anson Dorrance earned his 700th career win in front of the Fetzer Field crowd.

But after the game, there was no Gatorade bath or out-of-the-ordinary celebration to acknowledge the coach’s benchmark.

And the modest Dorrance — now 700-36-23 as UNC’s head coach — wouldn’t have it any other way.

“Anson didn’t mention anything about the 700th (win), of course,” sophomore Amber Brooks said. “He’s just that kind of guy.”

They might not have known what was at stake, but the first 11 minutes of play proved that it didn’t make much of a difference.

Over a span of just more than 10 minutes, UNC had three goals from a trio of scorers, putting the Tar Heels ahead 3-0.

“Honestly we did not work very hard this past week, and as a result, I think the players were incredibly fresh,” Dorrance said. “I think what you saw in the first 15 minutes was just a very fresh forward line, a very fresh midfield.”

Not out of character, the Tar Heels controlled the game for most of the 90 minutes and outshot Tennessee 26-6.

In the 11th minute, a free kick from redshirt sophomore Rachel Wood hit the crossbar, and junior Courtney Jones was in position to head the ball into the net for UNC’s third goal of the game.

Seven different scorers were responsible for the seven goals UNC scored against the Volunteers, but Jones’ performance in particular struck a chord with Dorrance during the memorable game.

“What I liked right out of the gate was how unselfish Courtney Jones was,” Dorrance said.

“She’s a girl that can blow by anyone, and will. And yet she’s trying to set up her teammates because it’s a philosophy we talked about during the week, for us to get our front line to another level.”

North Carolina headed into the locker room at halftime leading the Volunteers 5-0 and didn’t allow a Tennessee score until a second-half penalty kick sent the ball past UNC goalie Adelaide Gay. In goal for less than two minutes before the score, Gay was one of three Tar Heel goalies to see playing time in the matchup.

Wood’s powerful leg struck again late in the second half, proving that even with the lead, the Tar Heels weren’t done scoring.

With less than 10 minutes to go in the game, the California native’s second free kick was headed in by Brooks to put the Tar Heels ahead 6-2.

It was the midfielder’s third goal of the season.

As it was alumni weekend for the North Carolina women’s soccer program, the game against the Volunteers was scheduled specifically so that Angela Kelly, former Tar Heel player and Tennessee head coach, would be in Chapel Hill for the traditional Tar Heel festivities.

But for Brooks, the game itself was a showcase of one tradition in particular, for which UNC is especially well-known.

The Tar Heels are hard to keep up with and even harder to knock out.

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.