Food trucks face obstacles

Managers challenge outdated regulations

Mark Byrley, 56 from Carrboro, receives some food at the taco truck in Carrboro near Harris Teeter.  Several food trucks operate in Carrboro, but regulations for licenses and permissions for space for food trucks have stopped some from operating them in Chapel Hill.
Mark Byrley, 56 from Carrboro, receives some food at the taco truck in Carrboro near Harris Teeter. Several food trucks operate in Carrboro, but regulations for licenses and permissions for space for food trucks have stopped some from operating them in Chapel Hill.

Though operating food trucks in Chapel Hill is not illegal, the regulations placed on them hardly make it worth the trouble for some truck operators.

Town spokeswoman Catherine Lazorko said in an e-mail that Chapel Hill regulates food trucks and their applications closely.

“There are numerous issues that food trucks present — trash, health, and public safety, parking, signage, lighting, taxes, economic impacts on brick-and-mortar restaurants,” Lazorko said.

These merchants must purchase a special license and are subject to intense scrutiny by the local health department. The merchant also must obtain permission of the property owner where the business is located.

The town’s regulations do not apply to UNC’s campus.

Lex Alexander, a managing partner of 3CUPS in Chapel Hill, said he is trying to draw attention to the outdated regulations.

At last week’s Chapel Hill Town Council meeting, Alexander planned to submit a petition in an effort to change the rules.

“As a retail merchant operating in our town at 3CUPS, I would welcome the excitement and vitality this new cutting edge phenomenon would provide the residents who live here,” the petition states.

He said because he was late to the meeting, he was unable to present his petition.

Aaron Nelson, president and CEO of the Chapel Hill-Carrboro Chamber of Commerce, said food trucks are a recent development, coming into existence only in the last five years.

“This is a new fad,” he said. “We need to make sure (food trucks) are properly regulated, clean and safe. They can add character to the community.”

Lazorko said some mobile food services with licenses already exist in the town, and the council could be revisited in the future.

“There is an increasing popularity for these sorts of eating facilities,” she said. “The council may decide that it would like to explore appropriate uses for them in the community.”

Contact the City Editor

at citydesk@unc.edu.