Correction (September 28, 10:29 p.m.): Due to an editing error in this letter the host organization’s name was incorrectly spelled. It is Latinas Promoviendo Comunidad/Lambda Pi Chi Sorority, Inc. The Daily Tar Heel apologizes for the error.

As a society, we tend to overlook the heroic events that occur everyday. We neglect to recognize the courage and perseverance some careers require. We should recognize the extraordinary things done by ordinary people. The Carolina Latina/o Collaborative has partnered up with several Latino-interest organizations to host events that identify the important roles Latinos play in the development of this country.

Today, as part of this celebration, we will focus on contributions from Latina women who have proven to be everyday “sheroes” through the extraordinary roles they play in our community.

“Our Latina Sheroes,” hosted by Latinas Promoviendo Comunidad and Lambda Pi Chi Sorority, Inc., and the UNC Program in Latina/o Studies, will highlight these contributions by hosting a panel of Latinas who encompass a range of professional sectors. Panelists include Irene Godinez, Fiorella Horna-Guerra, Virginia Cardenas, Banu Valladares and Pilar Rocha-Goldberg. They will discuss their journeys to success and the Latino issues that are prevalent within their professions. Join us on Sept. 28 in Bingham 103 from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. and discover your own shero in the community.

Wendy Tapia
Junior
Political Science