Project Dinah thanks the DTH for Tuesday’s coverage of a crucial issue facing all students, not just incoming first-years: sexual assault at Carolina.

In our community, men and women of all gender identities have survived sexual and interpersonal violence. Bottom line: violence affects us all.

The article, “First six weeks of school are rape ‘red zone’” (Aug. 30) listed several excellent ways that we can create a safer UNC: publicizing reporting options and self-defense trainings, watching out for ourselves and classmates, and learning how sexual and gender stereotypes exacerbate rates of interpersonal violence.

The article mentioned, and Project Dinah wants to reemphasize, the role of alcohol in sexual assault.

As per the Alert Carolina website, nearly 9 in 10 college sexual assaults involve alcohol. Moreover, 90 percent of survivors know their assailant. Over half of assaults take place in a victim’s residence.

So while it remains a good idea to stay aware and safe while walking at night, it is equally crucial to know the impact of alcohol, the necessity of communication and respect in interpersonal relationships, and the resources available to you should you find yourself (or a friend) in a dangerous situation.

We recommend as a comprehensive directory of campus resources the Carolina Women’s Center’s Project S.A.F.E., which students will find at unc.edu/safe. Students who want to learn more about Project Dinah can visit projectdinah.webs.com.

Amanda Curtiss
Member
Project Dinah