Update: Sturdivant, Carter cleared by NCAA

UNC 13 short against LSU

UPDATE: 8:52 p.m. — The NCAA cleared linebackers Bruce Carter and Quan Sturdivant to play in Saturday’s game, UNC spokesman Kevin Best said.

Free safety Deunta Williams will not play against LSU, Best said.

In all, UNC will be 13 players short in Atlanta.

The University said this morning that 12 to 15 football players won’t make Saturday’s game as part of the University and the NCAA’s ongoing investigation of the football program.

Six of these players will miss the trip to Atlanta’s Georgia Dome because they have been deemed ineligible for violating school and/or NCAA rules. This group includes star defensive linemen Marvin Austin and Robert Quinn, the team’s leading receiver Greg Little, starting cornerbacks Kendrick Burney and Charles Brown and starting defensive end Michael McAdoo.

The team’s leading rushers, Ryan Houston and Shaun Draughn, will also be withheld from the game because they are still being investigated. Also not playing are starting safety Da’Norris Searcy, defensive end Linwan Euwell, and safeties Brian Gupton and Jonathan Smith.

Three more starters — linebackers Bruce Carter and Quan Sturdivant and safety Deunta Williams — did not board the team bus this morning and may not play Saturday. The University is currently working with the NCAA to determine their eligibility status.

Check twitter.com/dthsports for full details about who on the football team boarded the bus this morning.