One of the biggest problems in Washington is political polarization. Blatantly suggesting readers go out and vote Democrat is both counterproductive and obstructive to our political system (“Vote democrat and keep the country on right track,” Sept. 21).

Instead of proposing the reader to research which candidate would be the best fit, McIntyre says to just go vote Democrat. Good idea, McIntyre. He assumes by simply having a Democratic majority (or any majority) in all areas of the government, all of our problems will be fixed.

The arguments on both sides of the aisle are interminable and will always be, but suggesting to simply vote one way creates polarization which stagnates the political process.

McIntyre has obviously never studied government, because it is a known fact that having a majority in Congress and a president of the same party passes just as many legislative bills, and it is just as effective as when the parties are different.

He has proposed keeping the government the way it is (which has not been working), and does not back up his examples on Social Security and Medicare, while bashing the Tea Party movement without any evidence whatsoever.

Voting specifically for a single party creates a more polar and uncooperative government. The more we associate ourselves with political parties and stubbornly sticking to one side, the harder it gets to achieve results.

The best way to get the right candidates into office is to research and not specifically vote for one party.

Andrew Jones
Freshman
Political Science