You’ve probably noticed stop signs posted around campus saying, “STOP. Tuition Ends Here.” No, tuition hasn’t magically disappeared, but we’re asking you to stop and think about just how far our tuition gets us here at UNC.

Did you know that our tuition and fees only account for 10 percent of our experience here at UNC? That means that if we solely relied on tuition to fund our education, our school year would end today. Pretty scary, right?

Most of our time at UNC is dependent upon state appropriations, endowment income and private gifts. As a senior, so much has contributed to my experience over the past 3 years. World-renowned professors, student tickets for the 2009 National Championship and my Kenan Music Scholarship have all been made possible by private gifts to the University.

We often don’t realize how much of this is thanks to what others have given us. Wouldn’t it be great if future students could enjoy the same Carolina experience that we do today? As undergrads, we too can give back to UNC and make our time here, and everyone else’s, that much greater.

So, go ahead — stop. Think. And see what you can do for UNC at annualfund.unc.edu/heelraisers.

Lauren M. Schultes
Public Relations
Heelraisers Council