UNC women's soccer young backline overcome by BC

As Boston College’s third and decisive goal trickled toward the left corner of North Carolina’s net, UNC defender Meg Morris could only watch helplessly and hope that the goal line paint had been laid thicker than usual Thursday night.

Inevitably, ball struck twine, and Morris nearly yanked her jersey clear from her body, echoing the frustrations of a Tar Heel team which outshot the Eagles and controlled much of the game’s possession, yet fell 3-2 thanks to a trio of defensive lapses.

“I think we just lacked staying together and being as one as a defense,” Morris said. “That’s for everybody as a team, not just the defense, but the midfield and the forwards.

“We just weren’t competitive and aggressive enough to get to the ball.”

Thursday’s result highlighted one of UNC’s biggest weaknesses heading into the season — an inexperienced backline that regularly starts four underclassmen and featured two freshmen against the Eagles during the course of the game.

Despite relinquishing just six goals through its first nine games, the Tar Heel defense committed a number of youthful miscues against an experienced Boston College squad, which capitalized on its few chances to earn the victory.

The Eagles’ three second-half goals marked the first time since 1999 that an opponent has scored three goals in one half against the Tar Heels.

“We are a young backline, and we’re still working out kinks, but we have talent back there,” said Crystal Dunn, who started the season at outside back before swapping roles with Morris and moving to outside midfield.

“They took advantage of our weakness a little bit, and they just stuck it to us.”

Just more than a minute after Dunn’s goal in the 59th minute put UNC up 1-0, the Tar Heels left BC’s Kristen Mewis unmarked on the back post, where she headed the ball home clinically to even the score.

Alaina Beyar was also loosely marked ten minutes later, when she sauntered through the North Carolina defense and laced an 18-yard bullet off the inside of the left post and into the net to even the score at two.

But BC’s final goal was easily the most frustrating for the Tar Heels, as a sharply-struck ball by Victoria DiMartino ricocheted off the top of Morris’ boot, redirecting the shot into the left-hand corner of the goal.

Despite the miscues, North Carolina coach Anson Dorrance appeared optimistic following the loss, especially considering the performances of some of his younger players.

“I was really excited about the way Meg Morris was shutting down her side for most of the game, and I was excited about Crystal’s performance,” Dorrance said.

“So we can certainly take a silver lining out of this defeat.”

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.