Avoid wasteful dialogue: Groups should give the town a chance to complete review

Several complaints surrounding the behavior of two Chapel Hill solid waste workers have prompted a town-led investigation into the actions of these men.

To be sure, the town’s investigation must be timely. Even more, all of the parties involved should be sure that dialogue is cool-headed and productive. Local groups and organizations must resist the temptation to jump to conclusions.

A public statement released by Town Manager Roger Stancil states that at this time, there is no information that can be made available to the public.

Obviously, transparency in government is paramount. Bearing this in mind, an open process is preferable. We hope that the town completes the investigation in a timely manner and, upon doing so, makes its findings and processes public.

We understand that there is concern for a conflict of interest associated with the town investigating itself.

But this is not without precedent. The town conducted what we considered to be a fair and thorough investigation of the unwarranted and mistaken detainment of local business owner Charles Brown last year. Those recommendations helped lead to more dashboard cameras in police cars to provide greater oversight.

Additionally, the two involved are on administrative paid leave so that they do not suffer financially during the course of the investigation.

We look forward to the timely completion of the investigation so that all parties can move forward in a fair manner.