I found David Bierer’s column “There is honor in being college poor,” (Oct. 18) to be incredibly naive and shortsighted. The “college poor” he describes is in fact a financial state of upper-middle class students, most of whom have never been truly poor. He does us a disservice by only analyzing one demographic of the student body and by generalizing even that demographic.

While Bierer makes clear that being “college poor” is not the same thing as being poor, by claiming that “college poor” is a badge to be worn with honor, he disrespects the hard work of not only current students supporting themselves but also the people supporting us financially.

My mother lived with her parents and worked long hours to pay for her own education, which her parents could not afford. She did not go to sports games or order Pokey Stix or do any late night partying. If I were to claim to be even “college poor,” it would be an insult to the fact that, as a result of my mother’s hard work, I am able to have this education.

Instead of insisting we are “college poor,” let us all be appreciative of our parents’ financial support that makes our educations possible.

Olivia Bowler
Senior
International Studies