Having traveled throughout the world during the past 50 years as an officer with the U.S. Air Force and the private sector, I have had the opportunity to see the public transit systems in Europe, Russia, Japan and South America.

I have always been impressed by the excellent public transportation systems in other parts of the world, especially the ones in the areas I mentioned. Therefore, I am quite pleased to see forward-thinking investment in our county.

What I am not pleased to read is that the challengers to the incumbent board of commissioners, led by candidate Brian Bock, do not support transit and would work to eliminate such programs.

As a fiscal conservative and a citizen who has been a registered Republican and a registered Democrat during my lifetime, I object to the failure to recognize the importance of transit investments. If the aforementioned programs become permanent, I hope they will lead to expanded service that includes Raleigh, RTP and the airport.

I thank our elected officials in Pittsboro and Chatham County for their leadership and foresight in supporting this effort. It should be remembered that every gallon of gas and oil we save is a gallon that does not have to be imported.

Major L.A. Voller
Chatham County Resident