Concussion keeps Falgowski out of play for UNC field hockey

After starting in all 22 games for North Carolina’s field hockey team during its 2009 national championship run, center midfielder Katelyn Falgowski has yet to take the field this season.

A concussion suffered in a preseason collision with another player has kept No. 2 North Carolina’s senior captain from taking the field in all 10 of the team’s games thus far in 2010.

She admitted being disappointed after missing the Tar Heels’ season opener against Michigan, saying that the injury has been frustrating.

“After you fail (the concussion test) four or five times you kind of get discouraged, but I’ve been fortunate to be in the right hands and know the right care is being provided for me,” Falgowski said.

While admitting the unknowns of head trauma has been challenging and scary at times, Falgowski added that her injury has given her an opportunity to help teach skills to teammates.

Senior Elizabeth Drazdowski, who coach Karen Shelton calls the team’s most versatile player, has perhaps felt Falgowski’s absence more acutely than any other player on UNC’s squad. Drazdowski has had to take her place on the field.

“I have pretty big feet, but Falgo’s shoes are impossible to fill,” Drazdowski said about replacing a player who led the team with 26 assists last season.

“It hasn’t been easy, but she’s supported me the whole way,” Drazdowski said. “She’s in my ear all practice, constantly encouraging and supporting me, so when it comes to game day, I’m more confident when I step out on the field.”

Shelton commented on the effect Falgowski’s injury has had on the rest of the team in allowing other players to step up in her absence.

“Our midfielders have been asked to do more and our backfield players are taking more pressure because we don’t have one of the best players in the country,” Shelton said.

Shelton said that she has seen tremendous growth in Drazdowski as she has had to adapt to an unfamiliar position very quickly — something she believes has made Drazdowski a more complete player.

“It’s enabled Elizabeth Drazdowski to be a central leader for our team,” Shelton said.

Shelton acknowledged that Falgowski was still the team captain but quickly added that Drazdowski was “vice-captain.”
On the field, Drazdowski says that she’s growing to like playing her new position as a center-midfielder but knows that if someone goes down in the backfield, she might be called upon for another position change.

“I’m willing to play anywhere,” she said. “I’m willing to learn anything to help the team. I’m going to do the best I can in whatever role I’m put in.”

Although Falgowski may have been the team’s most important player entering the season, no one would know it by watching the team play.

The Tar Heels’ perfect 10-0 record, which features six shutouts, hasn’t given their coach much reason to complain.

North Carolina, the defending national champion, has held the nation’s top spot in rankings throughout the season until dropping to No. 2 on Tuesday despite not suffering a loss.

Whether No. 1 or No. 2, with or without a senior captain, Shelton hasn’t lost her sense of humor.

“Our team is still achieving moderate success,” Shelton said.

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.