The dining options in Rams Head and Top of Lenoir have room for improvement. I find myself annoyed by the lack of healthy food options provided to me, considering UNC prides itself on healthy living. Too often I see cheeseburgers, French fries, pizza and sweets in the dining halls. I am not saying that health food accommodations have not been made (Subway, the salad bar); I just feel that more can be done to improve healthy food selection. I frequently find myself frustrated because I am paying for an unlimited meal plan and my desire for consistent, tasty and healthy foods is never met. Taking suggestions from students, simply converting more resources toward healthy food choices and limiting the frequency of junk food on the menu are effective steps that can be taken to ensure more healthy options are provided to our student body.

College is a place where lifetime habits form — especially eating habits. The freshman fifteen, which is described as “the weight gain that’s a direct result of college life: late-night pizza orders, a buffet-style cafeteria, junk food-powered study sessions, a jam-packed schedule that leaves little time for exercise,” continues to thrive throughout American universities because so many universities have a plethora of junk food being served to their students. UNC cares about the well-being of its students and I just want to bring to light how our university could furthermore improve the well-being of us Tar Heels.

Keenan Harrell
Freshman
Global Studies and Sociology