Doyle plans prom for teens

monica doyle
monica doyle

“I am a prominent believer that one’s voice is the best method of change,” Miss UNC candidate Monica Doyle said. “In that sense, to be ‘the voice’ of Carolina would be the greatest honor and one that I would use to its fullest.”

If selected, Doyle plans to implement a prom. It will serve teenage students who normally cannot attend regular proms due to physical or mental limitations.

“Monica is very passionate about helping others and dancing,” campaign manager Greta Mikus said. “Her project is a combination of these passions.”

The event would give students the opportunity to wear prom dresses, suits or tuxedos. They could have that special prom photograph taken. The dance would also provide students with an unparalleled event in their lives and a memory to treasure forever, Doyle added.

“My ultimate dream is for the prom to become an annual event hosted by students of Carolina from all different student organizations,” Doyle said.

UNC

The Chapel Hill-Carrboro City School System serves many students with varying disabilities and needs. The grant awarded to Miss UNC would allow Doyle to increase this support.

Doyle has already gained approval and support from the Exceptional Children Facilitators of the Chapel Hill-Carrboro City School System for her project.

Doyle has tutored children every semester, and she currently tutors at Frank Porter Graham Elementary School. Doyle is a senior mathematics major from Wilkesboro, N.C. As a North Carolina Teaching Fellow, she plans to become a high-school teacher.

Doyle has held leadership positions in various campus organizations, including president of the Carolina Vibe Dance Team and treasurer of FEMMES. She is also a fitness instructor for Carolina Campus Recreation, a Phi Beta Chi member and a mentor for fellow underclassmen.

Doyle also volunteers with several service organizations on campus including UNC Dance Marathon, Relay for Life and Habitat for Humanity. She is currently working on starting a non-profit sponsorship program to fund children’s education in the Dominican Republic.

“If elected Miss UNC, I would continue to serve my time and services to UNC’s charitable projects,” Doyle said. “But more importantly, I would serve as someone who uplifts and inspires others to want to be better for themselves and the community.”

In high school, Doyle helped plan a prom for students with disabilities.

“Seeing the smiles and overall enjoyment that the dance brought the students touched me deeply and gave me the drive to continue serving teens in my college career,” Doyle said.