Walking through the Pit involves being bombarded by people telling you to vote … for them. Bikers get caught on A-frames, walkers asked if they want to know more about shaving heads, or soccer or drama. This overpowers the students encouraging students to vote in an election that’s more than a popularity contest veiled by a weak service component. Yes, there is a national election coming up. And guess what? It’s more important than $500 for a service project that could be implemented by someone without a crown on his or her head.

I’m not saying that some of the projects are not worthy of support nor that all candidates are campaigning just so they can be Miss and Mr. UNC. Imagine, though, if the students involved in Homecoming elections switched their focus to encouraging students to vote for a Congress that will decide the direction of our country in a fairly troubled time. Wouldn’t that be great?

So as your campaigns draw to an end, Homecoming hopefuls, consider getting out into the Pit again on Monday and Tuesday with signs not promoting royalty and monarchy but instead pushing for students to take an active role in our democracy. I’ve seen a lot of signs this week about elections, homecoming and political, and the one that sums it up best for me delivers a simple and clear message: “Go Vote: It’s Kind of a Big F—-ing Deal.”

Jonathan Tarleton
Senior
Latin American Studies than popularity contest