Freshmen Stephanie Peacock, Patrick Ceddia show promise as swimming season opens

Freshmen take three top places

The freshman classes of both the North Carolina men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams flexed their talent in promising debut victories against East Carolina on Friday at Koury Natatorium.

A host of freshmen placed in the top three on both sides Friday, helping UNC to its season-opening wins against the Pirates.

On the women’s side, freshman Stephanie Peacock opened her collegiate career with individual first-place finishes in the 500-yard freestyle and 200-yard individual medley. Peacock finished second in the 200-yard butterfly and anchored a first-place finish for the Tar Heels in the 400-yard freestyle relay.

Coach Rich DeSelm said Peacock adds the values of work ethic, spirit and love of the sport that he searches for at this level of competition.

“She could be as good or better than anybody that’s ever been here,” DeSelm said.

Peacock reached the 400-meter freestyle finals at the USA Swimming National Championships this summer and entered UNC as a highly touted recruit with tremendous potential.

The Cape Coral, Fla., native admitted to having nerves before each of her events but said she felt good about the way she swam against ECU.

On Oct. 22, the Tar Heels face University of Georgia, and Peacock says she hopes to deliver another stellar effort.

“Georgia is a very good team,” Peacock said. “I’ve got to get really mentally prepared. Hopefully, I just swim as good as I did today.”

In her best event, the 500-yard freestyle, Peacock beat out returning ACC bronze medalist and senior Katura Harvey.

But she wasn’t the only freshman to showcase her ability in the season opener.

For the men’s team, freshman Patrick Ceddia claimed second place in both the 200-yard freestyle and 500-yard freestyle. Ceddia finished second to UNC senior Joe Kinderwater in the 500-yard freestyle.

At the Blue vs. White intersquad scrimmage on Oct. 2, Ceddia beat Kinderwater to win the 500-yard freestyle.

“Last week, I took it out on him and beat him, and I knew he would be out for blood today,” Ceddia said.

Ceddia said he was surprised to finish ahead of big guns like juniors Wil Singley and Evan Reed in the 200-yard freestyle. Ceddia hopes to make the ACC Championships in February in the 200-yard or 500-yard freestyle.

Ceddia is part of a young group that bolsters an already deep men’s squad. Freshman Danny Hatfield dominated the men’s 200-yard backstroke with a first-place finish and freshman Dan O’Connor swam to second place in the 1000-yard freestyle. Alex Gianino clocked the third-best time in the 200-yard breaststroke.

“I think this freshman class is going to play a big role,” Ceddia said.

“We’re losing a big senior class after this year. This year is our year to do really big things — to win ACCs, hopefully, and move up even higher in the NCAAs.”

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.