In response to “UNC’s sexual harassment policy should be amended,” (Sept. 29) we find it important to emphasize the psychological and emotional consequences of this form of violence. It is not, as Jenkins stated, a mere issue of feeling “uncomfortable” or attracting an undesired stare. It is an abusive exertion of sexual power over another, subjecting them to fear, shame, and intimidating or offensive advances.

The experience of sexual harassment is very real and degrading. What one is wearing or how one identifies one’s gender is not an invitation for violence, nor an expression of it. Using objectifying and accusatory language to describe a woman’s dress or a person’s sexual identity is exactly the attitude that compromises and threatens their freedom to be themselves. In reality, women and LGBTQI individuals are disproportionately victimized every day in our society and two-thirds of all college students experience sexual harassment.

To minimize not only their experiences but to call into question UNC’s policies based on a limited understanding of a serious issue does little to spark intelligent debate, as Jenkins reasoned was his aim. We suggest those unfamiliar with the reality of sexual harassment educate themselves with statistics, definitions, and personal testimonials before challenging UNC’s current policies.

Caroline Fish
Chelsea Cook
Project Dinah