Suit filed to enhance Sarah Frier's career prospects

I have a serious problem with the DTH suing UNC. If a lawsuit is truly a last resort, then why not wait until the end of the NCAA, the Secretary of State, and UNC’s investigations when the puzzle should presumably be complete? What pieces may be missing can then be appropriately assessed. I could understand a lawsuit then even if I disagree with it.

The editor-in-chief needs to be able to tactfully recognize the significance of timing. This begs the question: Why a lawsuit now? Seeing that graduation is six months away, maybe Sarah Frier understands the importance of timing. It looks to me like this is a way to increase her visibility as she hopes to find employment, to enhance her journalism résumé or to be admitted to graduate school.

Nothing gets you noticed in journalism like being the first. What’s the difference between Marvin Austin using his position at the University for personal gain and the DTH’s editor to enhance her career prospects? Instead of a Twitter account, she has the DTH, will be praised by liberal media outlets and will not be kicked out of school.

Support those that choose to sue if you like. At least it will not appear that a senior in college is trying to gain from her University’s loss in reputation. Hope every member of the DTH can sleep well because I know I could not if I were them.

Edward Wood
Graduate Student
School of Dentistry