I applaud the latest efforts to ensure UNC is a diverse and inclusive community. However, the diversity survey from Diversity and Multicultural Affairs should go much further.

Specifically, the survey instrument forces respondents to identify within the gender binary (male/female). This speaks against the University’s non-discrimination policy that rightfully includes gender identity and expression. I work in an open, diverse and inclusive unit on campus, but not all of our colleagues may be so lucky. They should have the ability to express themselves as they see fit.

Further, the demographic section fails to account for diversity in any way besides race/ethnicity. In creating a diverse and inclusive community, isn’t it incumbent upon us to correlate important survey questions of safety in the workplace and freedom of speech not only to race/ethnicity, but also to sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, socioeconomic and immigrant status?

Given recent suicides and violence against LGBTQ citizens, the lack of understanding for a new growing, open, Muslim population in America and the wave of xenophobia gripping our society, we must stand for a new definition of diversity on campus.
The administration is listening. We must speak up.

Tripp Tuttle
Program Officer
Center for Global Initiatives