Many adults look back fondly on their college days as the best four years of their life.

The years spent in college are supposed to be the foundation for the rest of our lives. College is a rite of passage into the real world.

The college “experience” varies by school, but there are some aspects that are consistent among them all. Classes, obscene prices for books, late-night food, parties and the catch-all excuse, “I’m poor. I’m a college student,” to name a few.

Collectively, these make up the “experience” that all post-graduates nostalgically remember. The absence of one of these elements is detrimental to the “experience.”

My mom and I talk pretty regularly and in each conversation, she usually asks some standard “mom” questions. In a recent phone call, she asked what I was having for dinner on a regular basis. I told her it was usually some combination of frozen meals, eggs, chicken or pasta.

A few disapproving seconds later, she asked me when I was finally going to learn to cook well-balanced meals for myself.

I told her that my meals were still “age-appropriate.” My frozen Stouffer’s dinner is acceptable given my age and occupation as a poor college student.

A lot of students seem to be ashamed to be “college poor,” but I think we should embrace it and wear our “college poor-ness” as a badge of honor. Being poor in college is one of those rites of passage that enhances the college experience.

Regardless of everyone’s family background, the majority of students would consider themselves “college poor.” Whether you’re trying to make summer’s paycheck last an entire year or you’re toiling away at a part-time job, making just more than minimum wage, most of us don’t have extra cash.

The University and local businesses understand the struggles of being “college poor.” Ignoring the health consequences, it never ceases to amaze me that I can get a box of Pokey Stix the width of my door for $9 on Thursdays.

But Chapel Hill caters to more than just late-night binge eaters. By simply having your One Card, you are automatically eligible for a ton of free stuff, from football and basketball games, to movies at the Union, to discounted shows at Memorial Hall.

Most college students are relatively insulated from the financial perils of the real world. Living independently for the first time, it’s good to learn the value of money in a safe environment.
We’re protected by meal plans, Flex money and most of the time, mom and dad are just a phone call away.

Living “college poor” teaches us not to live beyond our means. We’re lucky to live in a college town accustomed to the lifestyles and account balances of college students.

Chapel Hill is the perfect transition for living with our parents to truly living on our own. We should take advantage of all the discounts available to us.

Living “college poor” is a rite of passage that bonds and unites almost all students. We should be proud to be “college poor” and learn from the experience.

David Bierer is a columnist from The Daily Tar Heel. He is a senior business major from Charlotte. Contact him at bierer@email.unc.edu