This is in response to “Sweet southern satisfaction” (Oct 6th). But first, I am as proud to be from the South, a southerner, as anyone (I too grew up in North Carolina), and proud to be at UNC, a great southern university.

I’m insulted, embarrassed, and ashamed that Mr. Neville, “a proud southerner” and a fellow Tar Heel, has not taken the time to learn or realize that there is far more to the South than the stereotypical attributes he described as the “sweet southern satisfaction.” There is more to southern food than barbecue and sweet tea, there is more than “a genre” of southern music (how about blues, gospel, rock ’n’ roll, and jazz in addition to the pop country you reference?), and there is an amazingly diverse population (how about African Americans, Native Americans, Latin Americans — or are they not southerners in your mythic world, Mr. Neville?).

And I guess you couldn’t be bothered, but Taylor Swift is from Wyomissing. That’s Wyomissing, Pennsylvania.
The South is a complex, beautiful, ugly, sweet, bitter place — the most American and un-American of places. Whether you’re proud or ashamed, embracing or rejecting, take the time to learn about and consider all the South really is. I promise you’ll be surprised by how much you find. Don’t close your mind and invent a South of stereotypes, Mr. Neville.
But we’re both southerners — let’s go get some barbecue and tea, and we’ll talk about it. My treat.

Reed Turchi
Junior
Southern Studies