The Daily Tar Heel has implied that the transition to a coal-free campus is complete. Biomass test firings have begun, but UNC’s cogeneration plant will continue to burn primarily coal for at least the next five to 10 years.

The Energy Task Force has done a commendable job in making thorough recommendations that outline an aggressive plan for a coal-free campus, and UNC’s Energy Services Department has responded quickly and effectively to carry out this transition.

But there are important challenges ahead. The transition to biomass will require the University to investigate problems with sourcing, sustainable management and emissions monitoring while also considering the substantial and costly adaptations for infrastructure that will be necessary.

In the meantime, UNC will continue to burn coal. Despite a commitment that UNC would make best efforts to purchase coal that is sourced from deep mines, the University’s recently renewed coal contracts indicate that all three of its new mines are contour mining operations — a highly destructive form of surface mining similar to mountaintop removal. And roughly 70 percent of our electricity on campus still comes from Duke Energy, which has no foreseeable plan for phasing out destructive coal use.

There are no silver bullet solutions, and the University will have to continue to expand the mix of clean energy technologies that will carry us to climate neutrality in coming decades. UNC has a plan for becoming coal-free, but there is still plenty of work ahead.

Taylor Timmerman
Co-Chair
Sierra Student Coalition