UNC braves athletic stigma

Committee ready to weather NCAA

As NCAA investigators continue their probe into the alleged layers of misconduct by members of the football program, administrators and professors gathered Tuesday to offer lessons learned from the process.

The Faculty Athletics Committee addressed issues such as the remaining length of the investigation and the future of student athletes — but offered no answers.

But the committee, which met in South Building at 4 p.m., was clear on one item: The storm is far from finished.

“We’ll still be talking in a year,” athletic director Dick Baddour said.

Though Baddour said the NCAA’s investigation is more than halfway finished, professors voiced concerns that the investigation has already done its damage to UNC’s reputation, and University officials looked ahead to imminent reforms to the athletic program.

“I agree that there is an underlying set of things here that we absolutely have to get right,” said Chancellor Holden Thorp.

“It has to do with the development of student athletes and it has do to with the responsibility of that and where it lies.”

The committee also offered its support for North Carolina football coach Butch Davis.

“Opinions are being formed, and we have to be careful with that,” said Napoleon Byars, a journalism professor. “But I truly respect our coach.”

Thorp said he was appreciative of Davis’ comment Monday that he was sorry for trusting former associate coach John Blake.

“He was the head guy, he was responsible, and he’s sorry for what happened,” Thorp said of Davis.

The members addressed the negative public image surrounding the program.

“We’re getting blasted in the media, even locally,” said health behavior and health education professor Laura Linnan.

Others spoke of the investigation’s effect on the University’s national image.

“The first thing that peers or colleagues want to talk about is this investigation,” said Barbara Osborne, professor of exercise and sports science.

Thorp said the University has been gathering information, turning it over to the appropriate people and adjusting accordingly.

“This will be an opportunity for us to get better,” Thorp said. “I can already see that that’s the case.”

Baddour said he has no control over the length of the investigation because the honor system is leading the academic side of the process.

Committee members also expressed a desire to comprehensively examine the role of the student athlete at UNC.

“What policies do we need to change?” Baddour asked. “What are the relationships between arts and sciences and athletics? How do we get better?”

English professor George Lensing marveled at the enormity of the issue.

“It’s microcosmic and it’s macrocosmic,” he said.

“And sometimes it feels just plain cosmic,” Thorp said.