UNC events planned for breast cancer awareness

Include charity honoring Breland

Correction (October 14, 12:49 a.m.): Due to a reporting error, this story incorrectly describes the Jessica Breland Comeback Kids Fund. It is a fund under the Medical Foundation of North Carolina and the UNC Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center. The Daily Tar Heel apologizes for the error.

This Breast Cancer Awareness Month might be a special one for UNC women’s basketball player Jessica Breland.

A children’s charity in her name is being promoted by the UNC Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center.

The center is promoting the Rebounds and Rhinestones Gala, an event benefitting the Jessica Breland Comeback Kids Fund.

The fund honors Breland, who took a redshirt in May 2009 after a diagnosis of Hodgkins lymphoma.

In her time off, she underwent treatment and therapy. She is expected to play this season.

“That’s why it’s really appropriate to honor her desire to give back to kids with cancer by naming the effort the Jessica Breland Comeback Kids Fund,” said Sylvia Hatchell, head coach of the women’s basketball team, in a press release.

Ellen de Graffenreid, the cancer center’s director of communications and marketing, said Breland asked that any fund named for her benefit the hospital’s pediatric program.

“She wants her comeback to be meaningful,” de Graffenreid said. “She achieved her dream of playing basketball at UNC and knew some of those children never would.”

De Graffenreid said the fund will help support treatment research and a playroom for patients to work with therapists, among other things.

“We are going to be out there for the entire UNC basketball season, really rooting for Jessica,” she said.

Tickled Pink

“Tickled Pink” decals have been popping up in the windows of local businesses as part of the initiative, which kicked off Oct. 1 as part of National Breast Cancer Awareness Month.

The initiative is part of Chapel Hill’s “Turn the Town Pink” program seeking to raise awareness about breast cancer research.

Other facets include a “pink” women’s field hockey game and a wandering lemonade stand.

Not just breast cancer

De Graffenreid said this month is about more than breast cancer. She said the cancer center is also gathering support for the Comprehensive Cancer Support Program, which provides most of its services to cancer patients for free.

The services include makeovers for patients who lose their hair to chemotherapy and psychological counseling for patients.

New research outreach

Researchers are reaching out to the community after receiving a grant from the National Institute of Environmental Health Services.

Epidemiology professor Melissa Troester said a new community advisory committee will work to better inform people about breast cancer research.

“It’s sort of a complete project where we have both sides represented science and outreach,” she said.