UNC-Wilmington to get new recreation center

Project will be funded by student fees

Students will be paying a little more to stay fit at UNC-Wilmington in the coming year.

After the UNC-W Student Government Association raised concerns about overcrowding in the campus’ only recreation center, the university decided to take on a $35 million expansion.

Funding for the project will come from a $256 increase in student fees, said Dana Fischetti, media relations manager for UNC-W.

“Because it is not an academic building, we are not eligible for state funding,” Fischetti said.

The start date for the construction of the 100,000-square -foot recreation center is not confirmed at this time, said Tim McNeilly, director of campus recreation at the university.

“We have to wait for state construction to approve the project,” he said.

The project is estimated to take 18 months to complete, said Jim Pue-Gilchrist, assistant director of architectural and construction services.

Pre-construction work started in September, Fischetti said.

The Student Government conducted an initial survey to consult students in 2007.

“You are talking about a thirty-year debt,” Fischetti said. “We wanted to make sure they understood the implications for that.”

The survey showed most students are willing to take on the burden.

“It’s always really crowded,” said UNC-W freshman Kevin McCaffrey. “There is a lot of competition for equipment.”

McCaffrey said he visits the center three to four times per week.

Because of the cost to each student, the Student Government Association is trying to make sure even students who are graduating benefit from the expansion.

“Students now will be able to use it for two years after it’s built,” UNC-W Student Body President Matthew Victory said. “We are working on making it available to them.”

The university is also making efforts to include students in the design process.

“The mock drawings have been up for a year,” Victory said. “Students have been able to give feedback, which is really cool.”

The expanded recreation center is expected to include two large group exercise rooms, a solar power heated indoor pool, a seahawk-shaped outdoor pool, four racquet ball courts, larger locker rooms, an expansion of the running track and additional fitness staff offices, among other changes, Pue-Gilchrist said.

Currently the facility includes an indoor running track, three multipurpose courts, one group exercise room, one fitness center with machines, and one climbing wall.

“Sometimes you have to wait for things that are really good,” Victory said. “Students understand that.”

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.