On Nov. 3, a student wrote a letter (“?‘Bed Intruder Song’ makes light of sexual assault”) claiming the “Bed Intruder” YouTube video is offensive in that it makes light of the issue of rape and sexual assault. This was in response to an Antoine Dodson costume seen on Franklin Street on Halloween. However, the humorous video certainly does not make light of the issue of rape.

If anyone should be offended by the popularity of the video, blacks should be. People laugh at this video because Dodson is “ghetto” and sounds unintelligent in his inability to form insightful thoughts to tell the news reporter. I do not laugh at the video because a man tried to rape a girl, and I doubt anybody does.

Many later videos are now on the Internet starring Dodson. In one, he performs the “Bed Intruder Song” on BET. In a follow-up interview, he tells a reporter that despite his newfound fame, he still regrets that the tragedy of attempted rape has affected his family. This does not tell us to think lightly about rape; this teaches us to accept the tragedies that occur in life and to make the best out of any situation.

Daniel Haba
Freshman
Undecided