Dick Baddour disassociates Florida jeweler

UNC bans contact with bling dealer

Three weeks after sending his first disassociation letter regarding the NCAA investigation into the North Carolina football team, athletic director Dick Baddour sent a second letter to a Florida jeweler who provided jewelry to a student athlete no longer with the team.

Baddour wrote Anthony Machado, owner of AJ’s Jewelry in Cutler Bay, Fla., on Oct. 25 informing him that he is to have no further involvement with UNC student athletes or “anyone associated with our intercollegiate athletics program.”

According to his store’s website, Machado sells pendants, bracelets, watches, earrings and rings. He also has high-profile NFL clients like Clinton Portis, Deion Branch and Santana Moss.

In the letter, which was obtained by The Daily Tar Heel as part of a public records request, Baddour says Machado’s actions led to “the NCAA declaring one of our student-athletes permanently ineligible.”

The NCAA ruled junior defensive end Robert Quinn and senior wide receiver Greg Little permanently ineligible on Oct. 11 for violating NCAA agent benefits, preferential treatment and ethical conduct rules.

Both of the players received jewelry, which were considered extra benefits. Quinn accepted two black diamond watches and a pair of matching earrings while Little received a pair of diamond earrings.

“I would go by what’s in the letter,” Baddour said. “The letter says one, so he was connected to one.”

Baddour confirmed that the jewelry provided to the student athlete was returned like the letter indicated it would be. Baddour said he has not received feedback from Machado since sending the letter.

The letter was the second Baddour has sent in regards to the NCAA investigation. The first was sent on Oct. 4 to former UNC player Chris Hawkins, who has been declared by the NCAA as a prospective agent.

“They allow the University to state their impression of what happened,” Chancellor Holden Thorp said. “Are they going to prevent this kind of thing from happening in the future? Probably with the particular individuals. They’ll go a long way in doing that.”

While the letters do establish the University’s stance regarding the individuals, they do not hold any legal power or consequences.

“We’re not a police force,” Baddour said. “I really don’t have any recourse except what we’ve done. I don’t have power to issue a warrant for his arrest or anything like that.”

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu