I’m a UNC employee, fan, and a Carolina Dad. I don’t know Butch Davis, but I know two men who do.

Dr. Goldstein knows Butch Davis from his Cleveland days. I recently talked to Dr. Goldstein. He was unquestioningly positive about Coach Davis: his family and home life, how children behave and interact with others, their own sons’ long-standing friendship. Dr. Goldstein trusts Butch Davis.

Roy Wall is a member of our church and I know him well. Roy knows about Coach Davis from the faith side of his life. Coach Davis is a man of faith, as are many people in this community and at UNC. He may not talk about it publicly, but everything he has done in response to the inquiry is a tribute to his bedrock of faith. He hasn’t blamed, made excuses, or hidden: he has spoken the truth, cooperated, and found solutions. Roy Wall believes in Coach Davis.

What I have seen of Coach Davis is the drive to keep a football program together during a drawn-out investigation. I have seen the team play every game — and improve; I’ve seen Coach Davis coach, hire new coaches, and plug holes with inexperienced players.

Based on my two friends and what I have seen, keep Coach Davis until he retires from coaching. He has cooperated with the investigation and been the ultimate coach: keeping together 100 men who could easily have given up on themselves before the first snap of the season.

John A. van Aalst, MD, MA, FACS
Assistant Professor of Surgery
School of Medicine