Although hate crimes targeting immigrants are both tragic and indefensible, a change in nomenclature does not address the root of the problem. Citizens of the United States are angry at “illegal” immigrants not because of their title, but because they feel they are being taken advantage of.

With a national debt equivalent to $44,300 per person and rising, Americans are becoming increasingly intolerant of individuals who benefit from government services such as tuition, welfare and medical care without contributing by way of taxes.

Down playing the fact that “undocumented” immigrants are in fact violating the laws of our country will only further incite those who feel Congress is neglecting to tackle such a pressing issue.

In places like Arizona where almost eight percent of the population is made up of “undocumented” immigrants, Americans have the right to be angry. If current policies are not altered their children and grandchildren will be shouldered with an enormous debt and live in a country whose government’s ability to maintain infrastructure, fund defense and subsidize social programs such as public education has been eroded by fiscal irresponsibility and poor legislative policy.

Murderous hate crimes perpetrated by ignorant and violent individuals are not a way to solve this problem, but neither are euphemisms. Let’s instead focus our time and energy on educating ourselves on these issues and taking action by participating in the democratic process.

Neil Delap
Senior
Economics and Mathematics